Grand Hotel Central is one of the remaining buildings from before the Second World War.
Grand Hotel Central was built in 1917, ordered by Sir Allard. Sir Allard was the first owner of the Hotel which in the beginning had 64 rooms, a large kitchen and a restaurant.
In 1922 the Hotel was taken over by the city’s bank. After 14 years of not being used as a hotel, Mister Phillipsen bought the Hotel for fl. 350.000. With the new ownership by Mister Phillipsen, the Hotel performed better and better.
In 1935, 45 more rooms were built on the rear of the Hotel. These rooms didn’t last long as they got bombed in the Second World War (1939-1945). After the war, they were never rebuilt as this was not allowed by the Germans.
In the 50's all the rooms were refurnished and modernized with accessories such as: telephones and shower/bath facilities. These modernizations were necessary to keep up with the wishes of the customers and to stay ahead of the competition.
From 1970-1977 Mister Phillipsen continued the family business. When he passed away, Miss Philipsen continued the business with the help of her two sons and Sir Valster, a family friend.
In 1999 Sir Valster took over the Hotel. He closed the kitchen and restaurant because it didn’t generate enough profit. His adjustments brought new life to the Hotel.
In the beginning of the new century, the current operator took over the hotel. The facade of the hotel is monumental.